View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow1098 View Post
Ok that makes sense…thanks guys! I will do it with the breaker bar!

One other little update was I spoke to Butler and showed them the videos and they seemed to feel like it doesn’t sound that abnormal because the short travel lifters and 1.65 rollerized rockers are usually louder!

They did ask what oil I was running and being that I don’t even have 20 miles on the engine yet I still have the 30 weight break in oil in. So they said to try an oil change with some heavier 20/50 oil and that could help a lot.

I am still going to check and go through the valve adjustment but thought I’d get your thoughts
just to provide an alternative suggestion to butlers 20/50 they always seem to recommend, without knowing the internal clearances of your engine, is that SD performance as well as comp & many other lifter brands say to use 10/30 oil for hyd roller lifters to help reduce noise. i use 10/30 in a 467 E head stroker with comp 857-s hyd roller lifters & they are very quiet, especially at cold start up or normal driving, long hard drives in hot summer temps will get a very slight tick but i connect that to the alum heads expanding some when fully heat soaked & i havent tried to tighten the adjustment some yet.

if the motor was built to "normal" street engine specs a thinner oil, that still provides good oil psi is usually better for the engine, oil flow is more important than overly thick or too high of psi. thats not to say 20/50 is bad & most synthetic 20/50s do have good cold pour numbers, but using thicker than needed oil based on the engines specs doesnt have any real benefit & some cam companies as well as a very reputable pontiac builder says to use 10/30. also being you are in florida a good synthetic 20/50 wont be an issue. but if it doesnt help the lifter noise after trying it, might want to consider trying a 10/30?