View Single Post
Old 06-05-2023, 08:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lots of really good advice here. A paint depth meter is your best friend - along with an experienced set of eyes to provide some degree of assessment as far as the depth of dust nibs, etc. Advice on this thread regarding realistic expectation for the paint-job and legit anticipated use of the car is pure gold. What to expect from Final Cut and buff is different for a solid driver car than for a trailer queen. And folks who demand trailer queen paint for a car that they know that they will be driving season after season to events even within a 90 - 120 mile radius may need to re-assess the long-term feasibility of their expressed standards.

Is your car currently at the wet-sand stage or the compound/polish stage? If the imperfections you have identified are within even ‘heavy-cut’ compound range you are in a different position than if the paint still needs a super-fine wet-sand or pass with a Trizac pad.

By agreement, I accepted my car after wet-sand and initial compound, as I really enjoy the final polish stages. It was a ton of work, but worth every minute, as you really get to ‘know’ the car if you are in a position to do the final 2-3 stages of light compound to fine polish yourself.