View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundSoul View Post
Good feedback, thanks!

On the ECT Modifier comment-- I'll add ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) to the glossary, I had included CLT which is what I more commonly used, and had missed adding ECT as an alternate term that's used. As for how it's used for particular modifiers, there are several fueling modifiers that are ECT/CLT based. Afterstart Enrichment, Warmup Enrichment, etc. There are also cranking modifiers to help deal with things like sensor heatsoak after a hot shutdown. As you referenced chapter 2 though, are you specifically asking about Ignition Timing modifiers based on coolant temps?

GIGO: Great feedback. I'll add a 'to do' to my list to revisit that chapter and add some commentary on these 'basics' that can often be overlooked. That'll make a good addition.

I've got some more writing to do in that chapter at some point anyways, I think it's going to become 'The Four Stages of Success', with 'Planning' inserted at the beginning.

Thanks!
Yes sorry I was not very descriptive in my haste, but you deciphered it. It was timing-focused, since I had not read the fuel section yet However it applies there (along with Scott's mention IAT and MAT) as well. All these various modifiers whether for fuel or timing improve cold start, warm-up, hot restart, longevity (faster warm-up), and (especially important for older engine platforms that don't have the benefit of retrofitting knock sensors), help protect the engine in extreme conditions.

Readers considering these systems may not even be aware the newer aftermarket systems with more powerful ECUs and software coding, have so much more flexibility and benefits than when first introduced besides just the base maps. And if it intimidates them to mess with those features at first, well... they don't have to use them... they just won't get those additional benefits (or they can rely on maps populated with conservative default values).

The Four Stages of Success sounds like a great idea.

Keep up the excellent work. Congratulations on 20 years!

Last edited by amcmike; 09-15-2022 at 09:56 PM.