View Single Post
Old 10-26-2022, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Terminator X problem solved

I dont really have a question I just wanted to share an experience that could maybe help someone else.

I installed a Terminator X from EFISystemsPros last October. I went with the Terminator over the Sniper because I didnt want to deal with any potential RFI issues. The install was fairly easy if time consuming. I added a couple of extras like OP and FP sensors so I could see those numbers on my Heads up Display and get rid of other gauges.

I have had a consistent issue since installing though. Every once in a while, especially decelerating to go through turns I would get a huge lean spike so that the car would almost shut off. Once it happened at the track when I lost traction and had to pedal the car. I thought I might detonate the pistons out of it. Kinda scared me straight and set me to trying to find the problem.

I reached out to the tech support at EFISystemsPros (Highly recommended BTW over buying from anyone else) Turns out we kinda had a mystery on our hands. We went through the process of added and subtracing fuel in certain spots. It was hard to test because the events were a bit random. A few times I thought I had it fixed only to find I didnt when I put more miles on the car.

Put in a new 4150 gasket. Checked all my vacuum lines. Even put in new header and collector gaskets. No love. This was all over a period of months as I tried to eliminate one potential fail point at a time.

Finally, I pressurized my exhaust system with my shop vac. It was there with the help of some soapy water that I found the tinniest baby pinhole in the weld for my O2 bung up at the top. I put some orange RTV over it and havent had the issue since.

Moral of the story, is that similar to how electrical problems in old vehicles tend to be bad grounds. If you have an issue with your Terminator that has an odd problem, search high and low for vacuum leaks because that is probably the issue.

Also, before you buy, ask yourself how good at cars you actually are. I think there is a perception that the entry level FI units are the easy button for car guys who arent mechanics. I think thats an bad assumption. A carb will run decently even if its not set up right. It might be rich or lean, or maybe have small vacuum leak. But it will run, and the owner probably thinks its perfect even if its not.

That FI unit on the other hand will let you know if there is an issue. If you dont have some reasonable level of troubleshooting know how, you might be one of the people who badmouth the units on facebook. They arent junk, they do work but I dont think they necessarily make things easier.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post: