View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Angle grinder with a Diablo diamond coated steel wheel for long straight cuts. I have a 5 inch and a 7 inch wheel. The diamond coated wheel lasts lots longer than the aluminum oxide abrasive wheels do. Diablo claims up to 100 times longer than abrasive wheels. Probably not, but I still am on my original wheels that I purchased 2-3 years ago.

I also use a 3 inch air grinder with the aluminum oxide wheels for finer work.

I have a set of electric shears too, and manual shears, right, left, and straight.

I have a carbide tipped Diablo Steel Demon, 7 1/4 inch blade for the circular saw too. The problem is the hot shards of steel it throws off, hit your arms and burn like hell.

I also have a recently acquired plasma cutter, and the old standby oxy acetylene torch.

For cutting structural steel, I have a 14 inch chop saw with aluminum oxide blade.

Of course I have air chisels with sheet metal bits too, sometimes it's the right tool for the job.

On occasion I have used a saber saw with a metal cutting blade, but the blades don't last very long.

It all depends upon the job, the gauge of metal I'm cutting, what tools, or combination of tools, I choose.

Years ago when I was helping a few electrician friends build a dirt track car, their go to tools for body surgery, and installing roll cage were portable band saws, and reciprocating saws, I guess that's what they used on a daily basis, and were comfortable with. I'm not a fan of either for automotive work.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated