View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We had a 61 Catalina dirt car that because the RF is always loaded excessively, would take out the ball bearings regularly. The fix was to use the later tapered bearings (62 and later) on the same 61 spindle.

I can't remember for sure (1971, 50 years ago) if we used the same hub, and just swapped to the later bearings/races, or we got the whole hub and bearing assembly when we swapped it. I do recall we didn't have to change the spindle.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe you can use the same hub (61) with later (62) tapered bearings and races. If you take the 61 bearings/races when you pick up the new bearings, you should be able to do a side by side comparison before you purchase the new tapered bearings/races, and seals.

We had a wrecking yard as a sponsor, so we may have just unbolted one (hub assembly) from a later car and used the whole thing, after 50 years I just can't remember all the minute details of the swap. Just remember that we used the same spindle.

Sorry I can't be of more help with all the details, but I know it wasn't anything involved to do the swap to the tapered bearings, and it did solve the ruined wheel bearings from that point on.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated