View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 11:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I cut mine to a bit longer than needed then painted. I cut some wood strips to mount the welting to. The slot that goes onto the spoiler fits over the stick. A yard stick will work just about perfect. I used the same paint I used on my car. I was told by the paint vendor that both the paint and clear have enough flex added already (think about how much plastic is on modern cars) so I did not add any. Even with the bending around the spoiler for install I had no problems with the paint. They have been on the car for 5 or 6 years now and still look as good as the day they went on.

I used 3m weather strip glue to install them. I put the glue on the chanel towards the back side sparingly. Need to be careful that stuff gets everywhere. I used some tiny spring clamps to hold things into place. The tight bends at the top need a relief cut out of the back side and some extra clamping and maybe some blue tape to hold in place for a day or two until the glue sets up. Originally they had a staple driven in place to hold them.
Thank you, this is great information.
I also talked with a body guy that has done some work for me. He recommended that (as long as I mounted the newly painted welting a few days after the paint dries) they should flex and be just fine. He just said that you want the paint dry but not fully cured and the paint should flex just fine.
I am a GTO guy and have never worked with the welting so it will be a lessoned learned.
Thank you all