View Single Post
Old 12-16-2023, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Update:

Nothing really good to report. These motors have the oil pump in front - driven radially by the crank. The crank timing gear is behind the pump.

You can almost get the timing chain off the cam gear. There is a youtube where this was done, but I suspect the chain has a bit more stretch than the 2,000 mile chain I have. The chain has a guide and tensioner assembly. If GM made it 1/4" shorter the chain would come off the cam gear easily and then the cam gear, retainer and cam would fly right out.

But it is not, so the engine has to come out to pull the pan to pull the pump, etc.

Maybe when the GM tech pulls the cam to replace for DOD lifter damage the truck pan will drop enough to pull the pump... maybe.

Anyhoo, the motor was pulled (manual trans) and offending cam was removed.
New cam was installed and engine resealed. I took the time to paint it Duplicolor DE1610 which is supposed to be for 1959-65's but looks a hell of a lot more like 1971-73. The harness was repaired by SwapTime and new mounts will hopefully raise the motor 0.200" and then the oil pan will clear the tie rods and regain turn radius.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue motor.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	625015  

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post: