View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 08:06 PM

Default 64 Sport Wheel Restoration

I appreciate all responses! and have reached out to Mikes for a cost estimate.

Dick I appreciate your response, I thought about tackling this as well as the rest of the car but with the long laundry list I have in this project I have tried to leave some aspects of the restoration in the hands of Subject Matter Experts like yourself.
Hence the reason I had you build the Tri Power Setup for me, this allows me to stay focused on the larger pieces of the project such as Body, Chassis, Interior and Drive train.
If I continue to get quotes @ $999.00 however I will have no choice to restore this one myself.

By the way this wheel has the one crack that has seperated about 1/8 inch opening as well. What did you dye the final layer of epoxy with in your restoration process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
If there's only one crack, why not do it yourself. I've had good success using 3M 8115 epoxy to fill and bond the cracks after cleanup with a file or sandpaper. You can dye the final layer to match the color of the wheel. I've done several '64 wood wheels as described with decent results. One had cracks 1/8" wide.

It would be helpful if we had a method of restoring the woodgrain texture. Most of the '65 and newer "wood wheels" are completely smooth with no texture and don't look at all like wood. Any ideas?

64 GTO 389 Tri Power 4spd Nocturne Blue Poly
70 GTO 400 4spd Palladium Silver
70 GP 400/4 spd triple Black
71 T/A 455 4spd Cameo White
01 T/A Bright Red 4L60E Ram Air WS6
02 TA Navy Blue Metalic 6 spd Ram Air WS6