View Single Post
Old 09-19-2022, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since these cars were designed with belt-driven power steering in mind from day one, my vote would be to install a stock style PS system. I wouldn't use an electric system unless the car in question was an oddball that never had PS from the factory and therefor made it impossible to use a standard belt-driven setup. There's no need to reinvent the wheel on a GM A-body.

You can get a brand new (not reman'd) Lares pump for around $170, and a pulley will run about $70 new. A reman'd quick ratio steering box can usually be sourced for in the ballpark of $100-135. The pressure & return hoses will run about $50 for both. The PS pitman arm will cost about $75 new. You'll also need all the brackets and hardware, which will probably be in the neighborhood of $180-200. The belt will be around $15.

So far, we're at $715 total when using the higher values above. That said, you can probably find used original brackets, pulley, and pitman arm here in the classifieds or on Facebook Marketplace for significantly less than buying new. I think upgrading to power steering would be money well spent.

Regarding the ease of installation, it's very easy to do on a '66. The steering box and coupler are easily accessible, so you don't have to struggle in tight spaces, etc. I just installed all of this stuff on my '66, so let me know if you have any specific questions that I might be able to help with. I have lots of photos of how it all goes together, too.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild