View Single Post
Old 09-27-2022, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A few thoughts on the rocker moldings and the rear extension moldings aft of the rear wheel.

1… the rear extensions were cut on hardtops in February but were continued (in some plants at least) to the end of the model run. I think they really enhance the look of the car. That molding seems to “thin” out the quarter panels and lengthen the car. I’d definitely go for them. They used two systems to mount them, earlier cars used the 68 system of 3 windshield molding type welded pins on top with retainer clips and then 3 screws on the bottom. Later cars switched to the upper retention being with 3 oval holes in the panel with metal retainers that had a protrusion that was swell secured to the quarter.

2… as for the repop rocker moldings they are quite a nice product and I don’t find the color any different than the originals. Perhaps your car was a late build? Late cars switched to an aluminum rocker molding (from stainless) and they definitely have a bit of a whiter tinge to them. Btw, only the rocker moldings switched to aluminum. The wheel opening moldings and the quarter extension moldings stayed stainless all year.

Btw, the only issue I find with the repop moldings is how thin they are. If your car has the fenders very true and straight to the line of the rocker panel the moldings look great but if the back lowers of the fenders flare a bit outwards (common tendency on A bodies even when new) or rust-bodywork bulges out that area the repops will distort as they are forced to mount concave.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to north For This Useful Post: