View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
I'm using a two speed Taurus fan in my Poncho powered studebaker. Moves a lot of air.

Made the mistake once of bench testing a fan with it improperly secured. If you want an Accidental Murder Drone, it would be hard to come up with something more unpredictable. All I could think of afterward was how poorly it could have gone, and how embarassing the ER explanation would be.
I haven't told the story here, but did have that catastrophic accident with a Mark VIII fan when it came loose during testing and my hand was literally eaten by the blades. Had to have three fingers put back together and back on the hand, and spent a week in the hospital. While the event seemed like an explosion, the fan cut through my fingers about every inch until the blades were gone. The fan went into my hand from the radiator side and pulled it in, and neither the fan nor I faired that well. I was very fortunate that one of the best hand surgeons possibly in the world was on duty that evening and he took on the challenge with his surgical team. It was his first night back at the hospital after a three week speaking tour. The emergency room doctor had already told me that they would just clean up the hand and amputate the fingers back to good flesh and bone. Just after he told me that, a couple of young doctors came in and said they were looking for a challenge for their surgical team, and I was definitely it.

The fan blade still hangs over my workbench as a reminder to try and not be a dumbass. It's been a little over 10 years and the arthritis is settling in like they warned me, but I have full use of the fingers. Dropped a lot of nuts and bolts for the first two years but surprisingly have almost full feeling in the fingers now. The X-ray was taken just after we walked into emergency and we had gathered up parts and wrapped them up with the hand in a not-so-sanitary towel, and they just took the X-ray through the wrapped up towel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark VIII accident.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	550755   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201002_154325.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	550756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hand_X-Ray_8-11-10.jpg
Views:	584