View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64catdroptop View Post
Matt,

Mine sat for 37 years. A new set of points was all it needed. Keep an eye on the water/antifreeze. Once the block gets heated and the the antifreeze starts to "reclean" the block, it may be a bit rusty or dirty.

Mike Nixon suggested I run the Shell Rottella (sp) oil in it... good call!

You may want to rebuild, or have rebuilt, the carb as the seasl there are likely dried out too.

I got about 5000 miles out of my engine before I replaced it and the only issue I had was oil leaking from the dried gaskets. The lifters needed replaced also, but it ran fine when I pulled it. In the 5000 miles I drove it, by choice, I rebuilt the heads, carb, and replaced the water pump.

Just keep an eye on it and have fun with it.

-r-
I replaced the points with the Pertronix Ignitor 2 and a new cap and rotor. I rebuilt the carb too, runs really good! I've only had it running on and off for maybe 20 minutes because I do not have a radiator fan on it. So I figure the thing would overheat within about 10 minutes without it. So far though, the fluid looks nice and green. Who knows what it will look like after a nice long run though.

I am having some white smoke originating from the passenger side header and a tiny bit from the driver side header. Only happens after car is warmed up. I did find out the valve covers were leaking and fixed that. So I am hoping that its still oil burning off the exhaust manifolds.

I've heard about using Shell Rotella. I put some Castrol 30w I had laying around in for now. I plan on changing it this week. What is good about the Rotella?

Matt