View Single Post
Old 01-08-2022, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, that is definitely a rally seat foam. The bolsters look so much less pronounced in the very first photo of this tread for some reason. At any rate, if you follow the steps outlined in the video I linked to above, you should be golden.

Also from my experience, the vinyl seat covers may still show some wrinkles in a few places at first once you get them fully installed. Not major wrinkles, mind you, but still. Once fully installed, I found that the vinyl really needs to be warmed up to relax the material and allow it to take the correct form. With a little bit of heat, minor wrinkles will slowly relax and go away. For one of my two buckets, I accomplished this simply by putting the seat out in the afternoon sun. Worked great, but warm sunlight may be difficult to come by this time of year. For the second of my buckets, I accomplished this task by using a heat gun very carefully. I was constantly checking the surface temp of the vinyl with my hand to make sure I didn't melt it. A safer method is to use a steamer, or if nothing else, a regular hair dryer. Very minor wrinkles will also slowly disappear after a few days as well, since the vinyl will slowly stretch and relax on its own.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 01-08-2022 at 08:01 PM.