View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If those coil overs attach to the same mounting point as the OEM shocks, I'd guess that the crossmember is broken and the shock is making it's way towards the trunk floor.

That mounting point was never engineered to hold up the weight of the car, only to dampen bounce that the shocks job is to stop. Since I've repaired a few shock mounts on A bodies broken from air shock usage, I've been curious how long coil overs would take to break that upper mount.

I'd be looking at that upper mount to see if the coil over has broken it. I hope that I'm wrong, because welding that mount back together after it's broken, while in the car, isn't a walk in the park.

I've seen some cars that the shock had broken the mount, and continued right through the trunk floor.

The coil over manufacturers didn't engineer their product very well if they expected the stock shock mount was going to hold the weight of the car on an A body. I have mentioned this previously on another thread, only to have my warning ignored.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 01-15-2022 at 01:00 PM.