View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Thumbs up 1964 Tempest with 17X8" steel wheels

Here's a few pics and details on my 1964 Tempest.

Rolling stock consists of 17X8" custom-made black-painted steel wheels with 4.5" backspace (same as 'zero offset' on this wheel width) running factory Pontiac dog-dish caps. Tires are 235/45-17 all around. A 1/4" wide red stripe was painted on the rim lip to simulate the look of a factory 14" redline tire, fools a lot of people until they look a little closer.

These wheels are quite heavy at 37# each bare, the only drawback. It was worth it though to have a one-of-a-kind wheel, I'm not really looking for the ultimate in handling but the car is no slouch. I had the wheels made to put them out near the outer reaches of the wheel wells, in hindsight an extra 1/4" of backspace might have enabled me to fit slightly bigger tires a bit more easily.

Up front are '78 B-body (Bonneville wagon) spindles & 12" rotors re-drilled for A-body 5 on 4.75" bolt circle (B-body is 5 on 5"), along with Hotchkis tubular upper A-arms and HO Racing front springs. The factory lower A-arms have been reinforced with plates welded in the lower bushing area.

HO Racing 1-3/8" front & rear sway bars were installed, along with owner boxed rear lower control arms and new stock regular-ride rear springs cut down by 3/4 of a coil. Urethane bushings and KYB gas shocks are installed all around.