View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer

Your welcome. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share this with you. But you also have to remember that prior to the racing ban that came down from GM, Pontiac was a dominate force in racing. You had many talented engineers that Bunkie Knudson put together that loved racing. Early on you had Mickey Thompson, Ray Niichels, Smokey Yunick, Pete Estes, Mac McKellar, Russ Gee, John Delorean and Jim Wangers. These people where followed up by Herb Adams, Tom Nell, Tom Goad and many others in support like George Hurst.
In 1962 Jim Wanges' matched raced the Ramchargers with his "Old Smokey" '62 SD Royal Race Car. Jim Beat them badly. The Same thing happened in 1963 with Jim using the '63 Royal Race car. the week before he Indy Nationals But this time the Ramchargers had Dave Strickler, a Chevy guy post a protest. You have all seen Jim Wangers jump the starter against Strickler and get disqualifed. Jim felt he'd rather red light than loose to Strickler.....As it turned out Stickler cold never reel Jim in.
Strickler went on to loose to the Ramchargers in the final round.
I wish Jim would write another book about all of the Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac and Royal's race team and the Mail order Royal Racing Team (PMD's off sight engineering branch which was Royal Pontiac's back room after 6PM) Many Royal people never get the credit they should, Frank Redicker, Win Brown, Clairence Walters, Chuck Broomfield, Dave and Sid Warren, John Politzer, Brian Ballish and Bill Schmitz to name a few more. There are several more....

Yes, you are very right about 12 second cars. I had a 13.0 '57 Vette and 12.5 Nova that could handle 98% of the cars on the street. It was this upper eshelon that one would not even think about going up against. Problem was most Detroit area cars did not advertize their potential. No Yenko, Nickey or Baldwin Motion stirpes or decals to call out the potential. Guys would do just he oposite...307 or 350 tags on a big block Chevy. 383 Tags on a 440 -6 Pack car..... I did come against one of the big boy's once/or even twice and I thought my Nova's engine stopped....LOL But no the tac was still moving..... WOW my ego as soooo deflated...LOL

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 12-25-2010 at 02:57 PM.