View Single Post
Old 08-27-2022, 02:33 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by da judge View Post
In July of this year I traveled about 40 miles from my home to a small show in a small town. There I saw a Carousel Red 1969 Judge (Ram Air III/four-speed) that I've never seen before. It's always great to stumble onto something new. I met the owner. He was a great guy to talk to and we shared a bunch of old muscle car war stories. He said he's owned the car since 1990-91, but it rarely sees the road anymore. It's eventually going to be handed down to his son.

The Judge is an Arlington built car with a 02C (February - third week, 1969) time built code. The current owner (the 6th) at some point traced it's history back to the original owner, who bought it in Wyoming. The original owner was no longer living but he talked to his brother. All of the other owners he talked to wanted to buy the car back.

When he first bought the Judge (again, around 1990-91) it had a Ram Air IV engine in it. Years later, around 2008-09, he went back to the seller and bought the original Ram Air III engine. He didn't get around to installing it until 2019. So it had its original engine when I saw it a little over a month ago.
I have no idea what he did with the Ram Air IV.

When I first began checking the car over I noticed the #48 heads had a H278 (August 27th, 1968) cast date. I'm assuming the block was also right in that range. Oddly, the intake casting was B199 (February 19, 1969). The block had the correct WS stamping, but I remember it being in an odd location. And it lacked an engine unit number. The owner told me that the block had never been stamped with a partial VIN number. He also said the carb was a 1969 Ram Air III Firebird/Trans Am unit (7028273). All very strange for the original engine of a 1969 Judge.

Here's what the owner thinks on what happened to his original engine. The Ram Air III engine was built very early in the 1969 production run and was destined for use in a Firebird or Trans Am (which would be a WQ code 335-h.p.). For some reason the engine didn't meet specs and was pulled from the production line. It sat in a repair area for some time until it was fixed sometime in February of 1969. It was then repurposed for use in a GTO, so it was stamped with a WS code (366-h.p.). Because of the odd course it traveled the engine unit number and partial VIN number were never applied. But the engine kept its original, but then incorrect carburetor.

The theory sounds plausible to me but I have no idea on what actually happened to bum engines on the assemble line. I'm hoping that other members will share their thoughts.
Hey Rich, hope to see you at the club car show next month. We have to talk about this car. I don't recall seeing it anywhere but would love to talk to the current owner. The story he told you sounds like bilge to me too. As you know, most of the claims made today about "numbers matching" is a stretch and many or even most of these blocks have been restamped to look original. The WW RAIV block is the most faked Pontiac block today. When you see a car with a WW block and the owner claiming, original, raise a huge question mark. Present company exception!! LOL Pontiac engineer John Sawruck once said Pontiac made an SR block for each RAIV block put together on the assembly line. I guess John knew what was going to happen.

Back in the early 70's when these cars were roaming the streets, I checked many and most had their original engines replaced by the end of the decade. Most were raced and blew up within 50K. Finding an original engine muscle car today after 50 years is difficult but they do exist. Most are covered and driven only to car shows.

The date code debate has been going on for years, but I follow the NCRS book on this because it was these people that started the debate. NCRS states that if a part or casting is within 6 months prior to the cars build date, they consider it original to the car. There are exceptions and I've seen this with my car and some Delco parts where original parts are more than 6 months out. I spoke with Pat about this and his search for an original voltage regulator for his 68 Bird. Anyway, hope to see you next month at the club car show!!!