View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer

Matt,
Let Keith and I know when you are coming. Hopefully it will be during the summer when you can really get a taste of the old days.

SJ,
I kind of like Jim Wangers' "Glory Days" too. Particulary the introduction paragraph on ihe Introduction page. See if you can figure out why I like it...

Matt is correct about the two different GTX stories. Jim Wangers' "Glory Days" was not a tell all book about the street racing scene. Nor the real behind the scenes of Royal Ponitac. I will tell you that there is a story about the two '67 GTO's in this January's High Performance Pontiac. Not exactly the way things where as discribed by the author. But the two GTO's where prepared differently.

As you look at them on the page: the one on the left is Dick Jesse in the automatic GTO, John Politzer is in the stick shift GTO on the right with the engine pictured over it. Both cars were white with a black top and red interior. No one would think that would be two with this combination.

The Automatic GTO only had a Bobcat kit and headers, capable of low 13 second quarter mile times. The stick shift GTO was a blue printed 400 capable of 12.50 and faster quarter mile times. (The Automatic car went onto CARS magazine and was used as a lettered racer by the magazine)

Most of you know the story. Dave Warren with the automatic GTO beat the ex-Royal customer's stock '67 Hemi GTX then lost to a modified Vette. Then they put the story out about the rocker following off before they ran the Vette. Got a rematch. But this time it was John Politzer driving the two GTO's. Doing the switch from the Automatic GTO to the stick shift GTO against the Vette.

Remember, John Politzer was Royal's Mystery Geeto Tiger and the primary street racer for Royal. John was one H---l of a driver.

By the way Jim Wangers was and still is very sharp behind the wheel of a stick shift car...

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 01-14-2011 at 04:35 PM.