View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 03:49 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I don't know a good forum title, but at times I want a dialogue about mechanical design subjects which aren't unique to Pontiacs. At present I have two examples-

1) Silent-chain camshaft drives, such as are OE on most pushrod engines. After reading about the advantages of silent-chain (HY-VO and others) on Morse's very informative website, I'm wondering why aftermarket cam drives are all roller-chains. I find it fascinating that silent-chain design exhibits zero (ZERO!) friction during chain bend/unbend.

2) Resilient driveshafts, such as the ISO-TEC line made by MSI for engine dynos- supposedly the most demanding application of any automotive-sized driveshaft. The ISO-TEC shafts are double-tube, with an elastomer between the tubes. To me, it's an intrigueing idea, since I've had 'unsolvable' vibration problems with certain 'big engine/small vehicle' combinations.

Maybe name it "Mechanical Design" forum?

(Thanks in advance- for moving these two discussion topics to the new forum, once you've added it!)

Edit: Looks like I didn't post this in the right place. I saw "...additional topic ideas" and was thinking it said "... additional forum ideas". Don't know where I should post it?

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 04-14-2007 at 11:05 PM.