View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 10:20 PM

I once again opted for the Dakota Digital VHX gauges. There are cheaper ways to do your gauges but I used them in the 64 and like the looks and everything they offer. They include senders for temp and oil pressure, programmable to use with many different fuel sending units. Have provisions for Hi beam indicator, turn signal indicators, CEL, digital clock, digital odometer and message center. Speedometer is compatible with different signal generators and is adjustable. Another thing I like is that all wiring goes to a central control box and from there a cat. 5 data cable runs to the instrument panel. They come with a comprehensive instruction book. Read carefully, follow them step by step. You can order them with different face colors and different back lighting. I ordered silver gauge face with blue back light because this car has blue interior. They bolt right to the stock dash bezel. Really look good at night. I fastened the control box to a hinged bracket so I could easily access it for initial wire up. When done it swings up under dash out of sight. There are two small push buttons that have to be wired to the control panel and installed somewhere where you can reach them. These are used to program the control center. I mounted them in a small bracket under the dash so they face toward the seat. Painted the bracket black and it is hardly noticeable. You can see them to the left of the control box in the first picture. I cut away all the stock under dash wiring that wouldn't be used. You need to connect the stock Hi beam indicator wire and turn signal indicator wires to the DD control box. I completed all the wiring, dumped 5 gallons of premium in the tank, cycled the fuel pump a couple of times and checked everything for leaks, I had a small drip in the rear at one fitting so I retightened it. That solved it. Hit the key and the motor fired right up!!!!!! WOW gotta love that!!. Sounds good too! Settled down to a nice idle. Tach, fuel, amp, and oil pressure gauges all working. No coolant in it so did not run it too long. Just happy it is running. Car is getting very close to having new paint. Looking forward to driving it. I had the drive shaft shortened and balanced so it is ready to go in the car. You can see the CEL on in the dash picture. Scan tool showed a couple codes related to low fluid level in transmission. Added some tranny fluid and erased the codes. No more CEL. My budget for this swap was $7000 and I spent $6544.

Dakota Digital VHX Gauges $755
Drive shaft service $110
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482-001.JPG
Views:	605
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	454286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1483-001.JPG
Views:	600
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	454287   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0053-001.JPG
Views:	665
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	454288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1617-001.JPG
Views:	617
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	454289  

71 Pontiac GT-37 400 4 spd (sold)
71 Formula 400 turbo 400 (sold)
01 Firebird T/A WS6 auto (fun)
64 Tempest Post car LS1/4L60E (Love It!)
65 Lemans Post car LS1/4L60E (More Fun)(sold)
73 Lemans GT 400/auto 1 owner 52k miles
69 El Camino LS1/4L65E (Awesome)
70 Pontiac GTO Convertible 400/400 Original
69 Olds Cutlass S W31 Numbers matching 4Spd 3:91 one of 569