Thread: 301 out ??? in
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54nomore View Post
The Y pipe MIGHT work as it seems like they made the 301 manifold outlets higher and wider to compensate for the shorter deck height. You could probably take some measurements to confirm, and I am curious to know myself.
While true duals would be better, why not use your existing exhaust if you can. Especially if money is an issue.
Being an old school/old guy on a budget I was considering headers, straight thru cherry bomb header mufflers and turndowns . No inspections around here, but outlets right under the car would probably drive my wife nuts in pretty short order, which could be pretty bad. I do really want to go duals though, it"s got the two chrome down facing tips on each side and I was kind of bummed out when I found they came out of a single cat. I wonder if my A/C compressor will fit on the new engine/motor, want to keep everybody happy, or is that bracket specific to the 301 also. Who even knows if it even works, it was one of those works but needs recharged. One other thing the exhaust manifolds have three bolts on the flange and I got another set of manifolds with the motor that only have two bolts on the flange, which one is correct with the 400. It also has 6X heads, I understand they are about 95ccs, pretty low compression, probably the 7.5 compression ratio. At least it's nice to go to Summit and find that the aftermarket makes parts for my engine.