View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After I mentioned the '77 GP, I decided to check out some pics. Hey, I could live with one of those. And I noticed lots of 'em for sale, in all conditions & price ranges. I discovered why, when I looked up the GP production numbers. It seems that '77 was by far the biggest year for the GP.

But, most of those I've found for sale have a 301 engine. Most also have a vinyl roof & electric windows. I can live with a vinyl roof, IF it is in real good shape and don't need replacing. BUT, I can't live with electric windows. Every used vehicle I've ever had with elec windows, had one of 'em stop working, in the partially open position. And I know absolutely nothing about how to fix 'em & don't wanna learn.

So, if I get a '77 GP, I'd prefer one with roll-up windows and a 350 or 400 Pontiac engine. A really cheap 301 would work. But, a lot of the bolt on stuff is different, which would make swapping in my 455 more involved. Also, with a '77 350 or 400, I'd get some 6x heads, and other stuff I could use or sell.

I assume they have the 8.5 rear end. So, that would be a plus, as compared to having to swap out an 8.2 in an early A-body, or a 7.5 in a later model. The only down side I can see is the weight. But hey, a decent 455 & the right gears, will make it a nice ride. Should also attract much less attention from the law enforcement officers, than one of the smaller, sportier models. Might look more appropriate for my age.