View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer

Steve,
Here is how the story goes...I've been friends with Jim Wangers for years. I have done little things for him now and than as a favor through the years. One night when Jim was at the house for dinner he asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to buy the Black Bird. I said no because I had my own projects, '66 Geeto Tiger clone, and I just wasn't interested in the car.
A year later Jim brought up the subject of the Blackbird again at Milan Dragway. I had now sold the '66 GTO project to Jack "Doc" Watson's barber and said I was now interested.
Another few months went by and Jim called me from California and said he was giving me the Blackbird. I responsed, Ok how much? Jim repeated, I'm giving you the car. I repeated, OK, how much? Jim now stated....Listen to me closely...I'm giving you the car for all the things you have done for me through the years. I told him I can not except it for free. Jim than said in a stern voice, fine give me a buck. I thought about it for a milli second and said, fine tell them I'm running over to the office and getting the car. Before I woke up from this dream I ran over and had Jim's Detroit office secretary call Jim in California. She did. Jim told her to pull the title for the car and I give to Eric. Than take the dollar he gave you and keep it for the paper work she had just done. It was now a legal trans action.
Jim was nice enough to let me keep the Blackbird at his shop behind the office while we rebuilt the car.
Wow, as I look back that was almost 17 years ago..... Time really does fly.

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 12-21-2010 at 10:42 AM.