Thread: KYB shocks
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i dont have kyb on a classic car but do run the excel g on a 4th gen 4runner & they have a very good OEM type ride, firm & stable on the bouncy dips but soft on the pot holes & hard bumps.

the excel g are 10% stiffer than stock according to kyb tech dept i spoke to when i asked about the gas adjust vs the excel g, they didnt mention a % for the gas a just, just that they were a beefier shock than stock or the excel g & would have a stiffer ride. the front shocks on a 4runner are a coil over design & the spring is 10% stiffer than stock as well as the valving in the shock. after 2+years with the excel g i am very happy with the ride quality, not overly firm or harsh at all & with a lifetime warranty they are hard to beat at their lower price point.

if you just want a smooth ride & dont care too much about performance, maybe try a OEM type gabriel or monroe, they are priced low & i have them on 2 of my 2nd gen trans ams for 10+ years that are only street cars & they have a nice comfortable ride, but the more expensive koni or bilstein are great for performance with a little harsher ride & are expensive. so really comes down to what your goals are for the car, if just street driven or highway cruiser id try the excel g or other brands of OEM type shocks. i also have a set of summit adjustable shocks on another 2nd gen street/strip/road car, they work great on the street & decent at the drag strip on the soft setting but handle/corner very well on the medium to firm settings. also priced very good & gives you a range of adjustment to see what you like best.

as for why he would want the lower end units, sounds like he wants a softer & less harsh ride than the gas adjust & the excel g are "softer" from what ive read for most other vehicles, cant comment on how they compare for classic cars but should be the same as suv/trucks.