View Single Post
Old 10-10-2022, 11:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Boost newbie- Low boost street car?

Hello everyone.

I am considering adding a little boost to my 455 as supply chain issues have slowed my previous plan of adding aluminum heads and a roller. And, I have next to zero gasoline/ boost experience.

That got me to thinking, I have an old diesel charger or two laying around and possibly some really low boost will accomplish the same goal. I have been in the diesel performance game for a while and compound turbos along with high boost are the norm. And I am limited to 91 octane. Really no E-85 readily available here. My high end goal would be around 600RWHP. Probably only rarely get run at that level. I would want no more than a single hair dryer. I am not even sure how to get the plumbing in the car around everything else.

I have a '68 bird, not looking to cut the car up, want exhaust routed underneath, ect. The engine has all the appropriate parts except for a little ring gap. Aftermarket rods, pistons, ect, ect.

I am thinking about sticking with my iron 6x-8 that have been rebuilt with 1.77 exhaust valves and crossovers filled. Other than a port match, no head work has ben done, but if I need to pull them for ring gap work, I will do a mild porting job.. I am running a MegaSquirt with port injection and LS truck coils. So, I do have good control of fuel and timing. All running through a Microsquirt controlled 4L80. I would have to swap fuel pump, injectors, convertors and look at rear gearing,

What I am looking for is a fun driver. Never going to get tracked. Decent fuel economy would be a bonus, probably should have chosen less cubes for that one. I want response over total HP. Was thinking about using a smaller roller and one of the S400's I have laying around. I have a 75/96 1.32 T6 and other variants in the shop. I have a couple of old gates. Probably a few 44mm, which I am guessing is too small, and a 66 I believe. I am thinking a budget setup using my old junk. I can fab parts, I have manual machines, welders, ect.

Anyway, just floating an idea. This is something I can start on this winter instead of waiting for heads to arrive whenever the craziness subsides.

I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Dave

Fishing guide in the Washington state for Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon. Fish-On!