View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
They change the instant center, and plant the tires harder.

H-O Racing made them for a long time, now I think QA1 is the go-to for them.

https://www.qa1.net/automotive/suspe.../anti-hop-bars

Dick Miller made them too, and wrote about them in his book:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Hook-Laun.../dp/B08FNX6MQB

(I do not support Dick Miller by the way)

There are drawbacks, there is a negative impact on handling when using them. I forget the specifics, but sure others can chime in. I think it makes a car get loose on corner exits, but would have to revisit it to be sure.

It changes the lever arm action on the upper control arms. The converging 4 link design inherently has bind in the system which is why you never use solid bushings in them.

By increasing the height of the attachment points, you increase the force exerted on the top of axle. The converging nature of the upper control arms push the axle into the ground. When that force is being applied equally, it really works in your favor to plant the tires and reduce axle wrap.

The problem becomes when the force is applied unequally, like when you are powering out of the apex of a corner. The application of force overwhelms one side of the axle and twists it into the opposing force of the opposite side of the suspension. When rubber bushings are used, this creates a cushion to absorb the movement in a linear and controllable way. But, once the bushing has no more tolerance to take up, the system will bind and unload the tires, resulting in an instant and near uncorrectable oversteer.

You don't hear about it as much with A bodies, because generally the types of tires being used and the kind of driving activity being done doesn't put the car near that limit. You hear about it a lot with Fox through SN95 chassis mustangs.