View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 12:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know how many responding have owned both, but I have. They are the only year GTOs I have owned & are my #1 & #2 favorites without a doubt. Both years have strengths and weaknesses. The '66s strengths are as follows. Last year for the Tri-Power & the 389. You gotta love a 389 Tri-Power. The rear end on the car is gorgeous, I love everything about it, especially the louvered tail lights. The real wood dash. The full dash pad. The metal window crank knobs. I know the next two items are a matter of personal taste so let me just say that I personally think that both the rocker panel chrome & the overall front end look better on the '66. As far as the weaknesses go, The two speed automatic stinks. No disk brake option & that's about it. The '67s strengths are first & foremost, the Turbo 400 with the dual gate. Available disk brakes. The 400 has 11 more cubic inches and better flowing heads than the 389. I love the wire grill inserts although I still like the 66s overall front end better. The '67s main weakness is that the tail-light panels all rust out. For me this is a very close call & if you want an automatic car I would recommend you get a '67 or get a 66 & put in a Turbo 400 & a dual gate. If you want a four speed I would recommend the '66 every time. Just my 2 cents worth. Jerry.