View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nope, the systems are identical through 72 (except for late 72's not having the water valve which I just learned about myself.) The 69 I have now was just the first time that I went all the way through one of these systems and figured it all out. If you open the link everything being sold there matches with my experience over the years. And they have some great pictures. I wish I had found that site when I was rebuilding mine because they look like an outstanding source for hard-to-find parts.

In fact I have a pristine (rebuilt) 70-72 controller assembly that anyone here is welcome to for free if they need one. Laid side-by-side I found it to be exactly the same as the one in my 69 except for the angle of the face plate. I stole the water valve vacuum switch from it but otherwise it is complete, including the switch that shuts power to the fan in off position.

There is a lot of confusion out there about how the A/C system works. It is not at all obvious and I guess not many have done a complete tear-down like I did. Also the non-A/C box is altogether different which adds to confusion. Bottom line is that the cable-driven flapper door diverts air coming into the box from the suitcase, one way through the heater core and the other way bypasses it, but does not isolate it. In either position the heater core is open to the heater vent even with the system full off. Crazy design if you ask me.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"