View Single Post
Old 01-07-2022, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I imagine people have many different ways of making new brake lines. This is the way I do it for better or worse. I do about 300 ft. of brake line a year here at my shop and have a MasterCool hydraulic flaring tool. But prior to getting this tool for father's day 3 years ago, I used a hand flaring tool like in your pics. The flare looks perfect BTW. With a hand flaring tool, I start with my coil of Nickel/copper and slide a nut on and double flare one end in a vise. Then I attach the flared end and run my line bending and fitting it in the original clamps and shaping/forming it as close to the finished look as possible. It bends and forms so easily, this can be done almost entirely with your fingers. That's the huge advantage vs stainless steel which is nearly impossible to bend in the tight/die formed look most collector car/restroation customers want. Once I have the line in place, I mark it and cut for the second flare and form it. This is where the hydraulic flaring tool is worth it's price. The second flare can be made on the car pretty easily and with great results. Using a hand flaring tool, if the line can be removed to make the second flare without damaging it, I remove and make the second flare and reinstall. If it's a long line and difficult to remove, I have used a large pair of vise grips to hold the bar on a manual double flaring tool and make the second flare on the car. It's more difficult but nickel/copper is soft and easy to flare so not too big a deal. Don't forget the second nut!! Don't forget to have it facing the correct direction! Ask me how I know these things! That's a mistake I have made many times I am sorry to admit. Good luck. Everyone loves Nickel/Copper once they have tried it. I don't do SS brake lines anymore unless the customer buys them pre-bent. Then I will try to install them.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: