View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 06:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been working on the door to fender gaps more and level matching as best as I can get at this point. I also mocked up both the GTO fender emblems as well as holding up the rocker moldings in place. Doing that showed me I needed to work both fenders a little more in the area where the patch panels were welded in. I used the shrinking disc some on both sides. On the passenger side fender, I had to twist the inside fender brace a little in order to get the rocker molding to sit flat. I also had to re-drill the holes on that fender for the emblem. They got welded up when I fixed the dent and the previous repair job there.

Here's the area where I welded to close the gap and correct the door to fender edge arc:

And after:

Welding shrinkage did cause the edge of the door to suck in a little which is normal. I used my slide hammer with this end on it to hook behind and pull back out.

Here's the rear door edge now after a little more adjustment on the level.
I make sure the door edge isn't any lower than the quarter panel as I don't want a very high build of primer at the edge. OK to have the quarter a bit lower though since it's not a problem to have a primer build up some there.

On the driver side, I did weld a very small amount to make the top of door edge match the fender arc perfectly.

I'm seeing a nice look down the sides of the car now even before primer:

I'm now happy with all the gaps and levels of the hood, fenders and doors and I'm calling them ready for primer. So now on to the nose and trunk lid next. I'm still waiting on the delivery of the 3M flexible filler for the nose so I'll start on fitting the trunk lid tomorrow.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post: