View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 07:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Got the nose fitted the way I want using flexible filler.

This is the 3M filler I used. I bought the applicator as well:

I did not use those mixing tubes came with since I only needed to use a little at a time. I did end up using more than 3/4 of this 200ml cartridge but about as much gets sanded off than stays on the nose.

First thing I did is apply some to the insides of both sides of the nose to stiffen it up some. The rubber flexed there more than I wanted.

I used masking tape behind it to help hold in the filler until it hardened.

So here it is all done. Quite a few hours of work.

After those photos, I removed the nose to smooth out the areas where I had squeezed in filler on the back side where the nose meets the fenders.

I also removed the passenger fender and mocked up the inner fender and A/C evaporator housing. I wanted to see why a previous owner cut a hole in the inner fender. I don't know why Pontiac assembles the car this way but they way that did it requires that the fender and inner fender to be removed just to get to one nut that is screwed onto a stud that holds the inner housing where the heater core is. So I made a modification. I removed the stud from the inner housing and then used JB Weld to attach a bolt to the outer housing. Problem solved. Now the nut will be on the inside and have easy access.

I am going to put in a new heater core. Even though it had been replaced in the past, it looked like it had been in there a long time. I'll replace the blower motor as well. I'd rather have new since the fender has to be removed to replace. Plus the wheel is rusted badly.

I took the outer housing apart and removed the evaporator. I'm going to replace it since it's the 52 year old original. Doesn't look like a whole lot of air could get through it. I bet the A/C wasn't working too well the last time it was used. I wonder if it was leaking slowly. Not sure how that oily dirt would get in there if it weren't.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post: