Thread: advice on temp
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
good point on synthetic fluids handling heat better than old non synthetics. synthetic fluid will not break down near as fast as older fluids due to heat or wear/time... but the charts show as you approach & pass ~220 its not the fluid that fails its the internal parts of the trans like seals harden, plates slip & clutches burn out. i dont think any fluid will prevent that at extreme temps. its more of a reference point to indicate what higher temps do to older fluids as well as internal parts.

i have a 4th gen 4 runner & toyota also calls their WS ATF "lifetime" but it most certainly is not, the owners manual tells you to do a full exchange at 100k miles or 60k miles if used for heavy towing or other hard abuse like off roading. wonder if buried in the ford OM there is a stated fluid change at a certain mileage? toyota also has many trans/engines of this era going 300k+ miles, some on original ATF & they all use standard spin on oil filters ... theres a documented tacoma with the same engine/trans as 4runners that hit 1 million miles & was still going strong. modern vehicles are much better built than older or classic cars as far as drive train reliability.
I run John Deer tractor fluid in my th400 it has a higher burning point and is used by multiple racers on other sites. They have a hi and lo viscosity which can raise or lower stall speed but a few hundred rpm. It comes out of the bottle clear so I added some red fluid dye to make sure I see any leaks or other issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to 70geeteeohh For This Useful Post: