View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 04:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Need some direction on fixing/replacing my gas tank

I'm trying to decide what to do with the gas tank in my '73 Formula. It is an OEM tank, however it is not original to this specific car. It is quite clean inside. However, when someone replaced the tank with this one(used at that point) years ago they put some of the anti-squeak stuff between the tank and the straps.
I think I read somewhere on PY that Firebirds did not have this originally. Is that correct?

But, I digress. Anyway, when I started cleaning up the outside of the tank, I noticed there were fairly deep pits in the metal where the straps had been. To this point the tank had never leaked to my knowledge. It seems to me, however, that these pits would be a likely place for that to become an issue somewhere down the road.

So, I am trying to decide what to do here. I would really prefer to use the OEM tank as all the aftermarket tanks I have used on projects in the past have been somewhere between "well, I guess it'll work" and "what a piece of crap" as far as quality. Out of the different suppliers I have used in the past, I think the Tanks Inc one was the best. But, it was still just OK in my opinion. Because of this I have debated cleaning my OEM tank up and smearing some sort of epoxy over the pitted areas as a precautionary measure and taking my chances.

I am also trying to figure out the sending unit. It is also OEM and works like a champ. But, the tubes that come off of it and run along the front of the gas tank look as though the may have some thin spots. Once again, it has also not leaked up to this point. But, what may the future hold?

I really don't know what the best direction is. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks