View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I don't have a GTO but I sure want a '66. My Dad bought one new. It was a tri-power 4-spd, posi. It was Navy blue with the full size hub caps. I heard many a story about the GTO from my Dad and his friends. They street raced the car constantly. Every chance my Dad got the peddle was on the floor. Here's why these cars are rare. This kind of driving by many owners gave an early end to these cars... (Most owners weren't this well... stupid)

My Dad bought the car for my Mom. Yeah right! She only drove it when she was trying to find him at one of the bars he hung out at. When my Mom wasn't driving "her" car my Dad was out rodding it into the ground. My Dad and his buddies were on the way back from a road trip and three sheets to the wind when my old man told his best buddy to drive because he felt he was to plowed but he wouldn't let him drive if he let it drop below 90mph. Safe and sane. To make a long story short they kept it over 90 until someone parked on the side of the road pulled out in front of them and while avoiding it they put the car on it's side. None of them had seat belts on and they were all lucky to not get hurt. The State Police show up and tell them that they wont write them up for a DWI if they state to the press that they were saved by thier seat belts! The police knew they didn't have thier belts on but they were pushing seat belt use and wanted this to be an "example of seat belts save lives". I found the news paper clipping that showed the car on it's side and these stupid kids in thier early 20's standing by the car looking humble. They rolled the car back onto its wheels and then kicked the windshield out of it so they could see. They stopped at a gas station and bought sunglasses to keep the wind out of thier eyes. On the way home they got to a spot that had been freshly crack sealed. There was an oncoming semi that was spraying gravel out behind it so they ducked behind the dash to avoid the gravel and they could hear it pelting the back window. Well there buddy was passed out in the back seat and he looked like someone had taken pot shots at him all day with a BB gun! To avoid responsability for his plight they threw him out unconscious into his parents front yard where they found him that night. They told them later he had gotten into a fight. The car ended it's life (with my Dad anyway) in a minor selfimposed collision. My Dad was parked at an intersection when the light turned green. Down the road about a block a man was pulling out of a side street onto the road my Dad was on. My Dad said to his buddy (the guy that was driving the GTO when it rolled) "I hate it when people pull out in front of me like that!" and floored it and started grabbing gears. They plowed into the front of that car a God knows what speed, smashing the front end of both cars badly of course and luckly not hurting the guy in the other car! My Dad pulled the GTO into the parking lot and called GMAC and told them to come get the car! That was the last of the GTO until my Dad saw it about five years later down in OR with some kid driving the chit out of it. It had been pounded back into shape enough to drive and was back on the road. When my Dad wrecked it for the last time it only had 12,000miles on it! As you can see my old man wasn't the most responsable guy on earth but WHAT A STORY! WHAT AN IDIOT!!! I sure wish he would have been smarter and kept that car. Oh, well...

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato