View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is my own .02. Have bought over a dozen GT-37's & a few T-37 hardtops since I was a 22 year old "kid". Also was the first to commercially reproduce the 3M reflective stripe for the 71 1/2's as well as reflective sword stripe '72 models. Last ran the GT-37 Survey in the late 80's & early 90's. The purpose of the GT-37 Survey was to uncover many details about these cars were actually built, & honestly, dispel a bunch of hype. Connected with a ton of GT-37 owners through those efforts.

Bottom line, concerning "numbers matching", about the only way anyone is going to appreciate an original Pontiac 350 2bbl engine equipped GT-37 is if the car is a time capsule cream puff! In info I compiled from the decades old completed GT-37 Surveys, there are numerous cars that were submitted with pics that were nice original lacquer paint, original interior, original drivetrain cars. A few were one family owned cars. Owners were proud of them & rightfully so. If someone were to stumble onto such a GT-37 today, the way the hype goes, the car needs to be unveiled. Then when done fluffing a lot of detail issues & thinking $$$$ signs, it's off to "Bring A Trailer". Several goofs on BAT, then will chime in that "only 50" 71 1/2's were built. That was, & is still is totally bogus! Much closer to half of the 5802 '71 & 71 1/2 GT-37's produced were built mid March through early July of '71 as 71 1/2 models.

Last, & am sure this opinion is shared with many other Pontiac faithful; replacing the well worn 350 Pontiac with a good 400 or 455 is next to a nobrainer. Wasting funds on another low compression small valve 350, whether its a 71 or later, not much to be gained there. Over the years I've had quite a few 400 YS 4bbls out of '71 GPs & Formulas, they are harder to find but not extremely hard to find. Whether built up as strong running '71 96 headed 400. Or building one up further w a stroker crank & street ported 96's, either are a good recommendation. A decent 455 buildup is also an option, though often a more expensive core to start with.