View Single Post
Old 11-08-2023, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive said more than once that spending roughly $350 on the front end of my Firebird had a bigger effect on me having fun with the car than $10k in the engine did.

I replaced my:
  • Steering gear with a 3rd gen (non IROC) box
  • Pitman Arm
  • New Rag joint to match the gear to the stock shaft.
  • All the tie rods and steeing linkage from a cheap, probably chinese kit. I dont recall what brand.
  • Proforged Idler Arm.
  • Sway Bar End Links
  • Paid for a common front-end alignment.

Car overnight went from borderline sketchy to drive, to feeling more or less like any modern car. Night and day difference. Huge bang for the buck in my opinion. If you think its probably time, and your steering feels a bit sloppy, you should do it. Im confident you wont regret it.

I have since also rebuilt the A arms with new bushings and added taller-than-stock upper ball joints. May have tightened up a bit more, but nothing in comparison to the improvement I got from rebuilding the linkage and getting a proper alignment.

I cannot rememeber if a center link came in the kit that I bought. That may be new as well, or may be the only original part in the steering linkage.

I would love to do the same for my 62, but linkage parts arent as common and cheap as F body parts. If you have a common A or F body, there is no excuse.

EDIT: I did also add quality Bilstein HD shocks to the front end at some point as well. These were also a night and day improvement over the cheap KYBs that were in there. You dont have to spend a million bucks, but invest a little in a decent shock on the front end. I think mine were like $80 each as opposed to the $20 KYBs that I put in when I first got the car. It makes a real difference in handling and ride quality.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 11-08-2023 at 06:27 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post: