View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Several years ago I bought a 1965 WF code 389 tri-power Catalina 4 spd car. I owned and drove it a few months without any problems. It had a “short tailshaft” Muncie out of later model Chevelle which apparently someone had used to replace the original 4 spd (or 3 spd?).

I think the mid-60’s Pontiac big cars had “long tailshaft” Muncies and the GTO’s had short tailshaft Muncies. The 63-65 had slightly different ratios than the 66-74 and the ratios were the same for long and short in the same model years.

I don’t know what all you contemplate doing to your car but if it is just swapping from automatic to manual tranny, BEFORE YOU DECIDE, you should make sure your engine’s crankshaft is drilled with the larger register size to accommodate the pilot shaft bearing/bushing that a manual tranny requires.

It appears that from the factory your car likely is a 389ci-290hp (with 2bbl and 092hds) and has a rear axle ratio of 2.41or 2.56. If the car was a 4spd from the factory, it would have had a 3.42 ratio axle. You likely will need a rear axle ratio change if you go with a 4spd.