View Single Post
Old 04-25-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post

It appears that from the factory your car likely is a 389ci-290hp (with 2bbl and 092hds) and has a rear axle ratio of 2.41or 2.56. If the car was a 4spd from the factory, it would have had a 3.42 ratio axle. You likely will need a rear axle ratio change if you go with a 4spd.
Thanks for the tip on the crankshaft. I'm still very much in the planning stages and right now the job is to get it running and driving reliably. A 4 speed swap is some time away, but I may start looking for parts...

Regarding the car, It's a little better than you thought... It' actually a 389/4bbl/325hp YE code, and it looks to be original to the car. You're right about the rear end, it is open, I just haven't been able to determine the ratio yet. I'll figure that out when I jack the rear end up to get into the rear brakes. I just rebuilt the Carter AFB, and it appears to be original to the car (complete with 55 years of sludge). It's crazy, all the factory hard line vacuum fittings are still there and correct, not like most cars this age that have been hacked up.