View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
It’s the terminator x stealth without the transmission control. I considered that for the future but at the end of the day decided to not spend an extra $400 on something I didn’t know if I would ever do.

I will eventually go to timing control, but was advised to start without it. One less thing to go wrong.

I have the same basic 400 stroker everyone does. Mild ported heads and RPM intake. Mild roller. Made upper 500s on the dyno.
If you're planning on doing it, I would just jump in. Especially if you haven't yet taken the time to loom and "nicify" all your wiring etc.

I used to believe in the same suggestion about starting with fueling first for a while to sort any bugs. The problem with that methodology is that going to the timing control features means utilizing several other connections that carry signal as opposed to power. A lot of that signal wiring by necessity has to be routed near distributors, coils and plug wires, all of which can emit large amounts of EMI.

I ran my car without timing control for about 5 years and never had a hint of any issues related to EMI. As soon as I installed those components, I had EMI issues in every sensor circuit save for coolant temperature. I had to completely rewire the whole system.

Firing it up without timing control active to check for functionality, leaks etc is fine, but if you think you're ever going to want timing control, just do it now before you get things buttoned up under the hood.