View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
If you insist on removing the trans with the engine, you will have to tilt the livin' pizz out of the engine/trans to get it to clear.

When the engine comes "up", the trans tilts "down".

You will need a heap of clearance under the back of the transmission. THAT means the whole vehicle has to be raised higher than you expect.

"I" would not pull the trans with the engine. But that's me.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone that works on cars frequently, or as their profession usually leaves the transmission in the car when doing engine service that requires pulling the engine.

When I was just breaking into car repairs in my mid teens I used to pull both out together, later on I started pulling just the engine, and have not pulled both together for decades.

If I was pulling an engine, and transmission before sending a car to the scrapyard I could possibly pull both as a unit, but if it was in a car that I was going to return to service, the units would be separated. Lots less mess to clean up by leaving the transmission in the chassis, and lots less labor leaving the driveshaft and shift mechanism, cooling lines etc. intact.

As far as putting a manual transmission together with the engine in the car, it's not that difficult to do in chassis, done it many times, and you don't have to remove the shifter, and then reinstall it, so it save time, and effort. Working on cars for your living you find the most efficient methods of removing and installing engines, and transmissions, separating them in car is much more efficient, I've found, by trying it both ways, especially when it affects your paycheck. If you'd hang around a dealership very long you'd see that most people that make their living wrenching, leave the transmission in the chassis when pulling the engine for service. The exception would be if you pull the subframe, or cab on certain trucks out from the bottom on a chassis that can't be removed from the top, they both come out together.

Originally the factory installed the 2 units together, but the body hadn't been installed on the chassis yet either. The lift points that Pontiac engineers designed into the engine (RF tab on the timing cover, and hole on the left side of the block near the transmission mount surface) are designed to lift the engine only, that's how they engineered it from the factory, FWIW.

As a side note, I've seen a bet made that the guys in the GM dealership bet that you couldn't pull an engine, and re install it leaving the hood on, and the radiator in, yes it can be done................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated