View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastry_chef View Post
Comment from Chris Straub.
I've known him to get results for years!

---------------------------------------
Math does not discriminate, it doesn't care if it a Poncho or a Mopar. The numbers have been listed. Based on the demand set by the piston speed, the potential fill and evac of the heads, the math will not lie to you. It will provide a "smart brain" for the engine....the camshaft is the brain of the engine.

Years ago when I was in my 20's, I would hesitate when the math was totally opposite to what was considered the norm. The first time I got the balls to hold my ground was a Super Stock Hemi guy. The math's result was met with, "Hemi's only run on XXX LSA". I can't remember exactly what I said but it was to the tune of "Doing what everyone else does is following." That didn't work but what did was if the cam didn't work it was free. If it did he paid for it. She made more power and she was quicker at the track. From that point I followed the math. Even with a local guy here in TN when his BBC 540 needed a 26 degree split favoring the exhaust I stood with the math. That engine had an I/E ratio in the low 50's. Power gain on the dyno was 146HP with cam change.

My experience is follow the math, its does not mix words. This engine and any other NA engine with that kind of I/E ratio needs a reverse split camshaft. Hell the Japanese figured this out 3 decades ago.
Chris Straub

-----------------------------

Another thread worth a read.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374438
I have a friend that is a member on this board. He is a very experienced and knowledgeable mechanic, not a "technician". He always tells me 350 cubic inches is 350 cubic inches! The cam doesn't care who made the engine! I guess that's another way of saying the math doesn't lie!