View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've designed/built the mold for a carbon fibre pontiac tunnel ram. Full carbon fibre (Cloth Fabric is 2x2 Twill 6K 10.9 oz) construction with 1/2" x 3" aluminum head-to-intake interface plates. Ive built one prototype from the molds and total intake weight turned out to be 9 lbs. (no water crossover...lol). I was surprised at how strong it turned out with only a few layers of carbon fiber cloth.....much stronger than I imagined.

The particular prototype ive built has been designed around one of my particular engines 462, Dports (2.3125 x 1.25 inlet 275 cfm).....plenum volume, runner length (to some extent), runner volume and runner taper angle are all designed according to my engine combo and the specifics of my head ports. The nice thing about the carbon fiber construction is that its possible to easily make all the runners exactly the same shape, size and taper....no casting flash. I'm working on a few other runner molds for different runner designs to accomodate my upgrade to some higher flowing e-heads (330 +) and much larger cam. Also, have a new runner/plenum design for the 350 I'm currently putting together. Its nice that the plenum size is adjustable with "stuffers" and or carb spacers. I would have liked to incorporate longer runners, but time and packaging (hood height) were limiting factors.

Theres nothing like a nice straight shot from the plenum to the intake valve. Starting, out with a couple of modified Holley 600 DPs that flow 700. Will see how well these things act on the street.

Was alot of work but also alot of fun....nice to have the ability to make a custom intake to suit my particular combo for the cost of materials...with no foundry/casting help needed. I'll try to get some pictures posted of my proto....it needs 1 more layer of carbon fiber too be cosmetically appealing.