Thread: Gaskets
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
RTV Silicone is a gasket MAKER, not a gasket SEALER.

Instructions for use of Ultra Black, direct from Permatex web site:
https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...asket-maker-4/
(click on "Instruction")

Note that there is NO mention of slathering it onto paper/cork/rubber gaskets. It's to be used INSTEAD of a gasket. It is specifically designed to REPLACE gaskets, although "popular (incorrect) use" has led them to list application onto a gasket in the TDS.

There's more than a dozen commercially-available gasket sealers--Gasgacinch, High Tack, Copper Coat, Indian Head, Permatex #1, #2, #3, Hylomar...and others. Any one of them works better than RTV Silicone. There is ZERO reason to misuse RTV Silicone which makes the gasket "slippery" so it squeezes out of position. It's a common mistake to put RTV Silicone onto a gasket, but it's still a mistake.

I'm no fan of Weatherstrip Adhesive as a gasket sealer, either. Works ok, hateful mess to clean-up the next time the assembly comes apart. Weatherstrip Adhesive (Yellow Death) as a gasket dressing/sealer is ANOTHER common mistake...
are you suggesting that permatex was forced to list gasket dressing on the TDS due to popular use? seems a little far fetched, no company would list something if it wasnt an acceptable use for their product.

im not claiming its better than any other product, the OP asked about RTV & i just gave my experience with it. many other reputable pontiac guys use it that way & recommend it for many locations. i was advised to use it by a popular long time pontiac engine builder for the 1/4" cork U gasket for an oil pan that kept leaking with the stock rubber seal.

also you dont slather it on, its a very thin layer, the instruction on the tube says to only go snug & let skin for an hour, then tighten. ive never had a gasket squeeze out from using it.

https://cdn3.evostore.io/documents/f...82180_spec.pdf