View Single Post
Old 10-29-2021, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Well, it's very simple, really. You see, I'm an idiot.

I only got as far as burping the radiator after refilling the car with coolant after installing the very tightly clearanced Flowkooler I got before I decided, "hey you know what, let me also replace the radiator just in case this one isn't enough radiator for my car." The rest is history.

And this is aaallll based off of a couple occasions this Summer where my car crept up to 210 or 215 at idle or at stoplights in 90 degree Florida humidity without AC running. Discovered I had a stamped impeller pump with a .200 clearance, so that could've been a factor, but I never had a chance to really put this new Flowkooler to the test before I pulled the Champion rad and ordered the CC (which is on backorder btw, that's why it's taking so long - found that out today).

Let's just say if something that bothers me happens, I always bring a machine gun to a knife fight. Maybe nothing is wrong with the Champion rad... but I just want to try something different with a little more capacity. And sadly, if my car running hot problems are resolved after I get the new rad, then I won't know if it was it or the water pump that was the issue because my impulsivity... but hey at least I won't deny im a dumbass

Coincidentally, the first time the car ever got that hot this summer was after I put in a new alternator, after which ive had belt chirping/squeeling if I bring the car to high RPMs. Wonder if they're related, cuz for the most part if I just drive the car around normally and shift early, the temp never gets past 185 or so and it immediately drops to 175ish once I start moving.
LOL. great reply! yeah i do some of that a lot too....

just a suggestion but since the CC is on back order until who knows when, you could easily stick the champion back in there to be able to drive the car & to test your new pump to see if it fixes the hot issues you had & the champion is sufficient. if all is well & you dont got money to burn you could always cancel the order for the CC. based on my experience with the 3 row champion & 2 other friends that used the same rad on stroker engines in their 2nd gens i would say it will easily keep your car cool if there arent other problems going on causing the overheats. the 3 row is rated far above the power youre making.

also i dont recall what T-stat you have but a 180 or even 160 in florida would help over the stock 195. & a trick for burping air from the system is to use the T-stat hole to fill coolant right up to just under flush with the opening with the rad & bottom hose installed, then install the t-stat & housing & upper hose & fill the rad the rest of the way, that will get most or usually all the air out of the engine & system. doing it that way i have never had to actually burp the system.

its quick & easy to install the rad & you could buy some 3 row pads so its more secure... just a suggestion to not buy something thats not needed. hope it all works out for you!

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: