View Single Post
Old 05-02-2023, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK. So after sealing up the rocker threads I found out again that I just suck at setting lash on hydralic lifters. I just never seem to know where they are really at unless I do it the messy way. So after trying to do it the right way I again just set them on a running engine. Made an oily mess clearly. After that was all good I did a compression test. Pleasantly surprised. All good and more even cylinder to cylinder than before. I'm wondering if the valve seats weren't all as great as they could have been out of box (I relapped all the valves on reassembly).

Anyway, there was oil in lots of places so I figured I'll probably have to drive it a bit before I can come to any solid conclusions about the oil burning. Well, today I was able to go for a bit of a test drive again. I went down to the one bit of straight road that I can sometimes do some testing on depending on traffic. No smoke during normal driving and just a bit to be seen on a hard run. But then I know I'm still burning off spilled oil. Anyway, I'm driving back which is uphill and windy. I decide to drive a bit faster because I know that before when I got a lot of oil it was in situations like a sustained bit of mid-throttle and then a sharp turn. Well, blow me down. First hard corner I meet after being into the mid throttle for about ten seconds or so a nice big roller of blue smoke. Now I'm really feeling what I felt at first. It's like oil collects somewhere when I'm in some sustained acceleration especially uphill and then all that pooled oil spills over somewhere hot in the corner.

So, I'm thinking that really as far as oil-sealing surfaces that I've touched in this whole operation there are the valve covers and there's the valley pan. I'm suspecting the valley pan. Especially at the back of the pan where it would spill out into the distributor area. I did have the gasket slide slightly out of place when I started tightening it. I thought I pushed it all back in place but of course I can only see the two sides and the front part easily. It could be pinched in the back. I suppose I'll just have to drain down the coolant and check that out when I get a chance.

On the bright side I did get to do a charge or two from a start and a kick down to second from a roll. I definitely feel like it should be faster. Hopefully will know next month... But I have to get this fixed. Especially if it's external...

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod