View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 05:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I have a lot more Stocker info now. So, I'll start posting it as I have time.

I learned that back in the early '60's they separated Stock into 2 separate classes. The A/S & A/SA were the lowest class cars in what they called "Top Stock". Some of those higher classes were S/S, S/SA, OS/S, & even the FX classes. NHRA did not call the class Super Stock.

B/S and below was called "Junior Stock". I'd seen Junior Stock mentioned, thru the years. But, I just assumed it was some sort of "Pure Stock" type class.

Anyhow, by around 1966 or '67, NHRA combined the 2 stock classes & called it Stock Eliminator. They came up with new rules for a Super Stock class. These rules allowed for a bigger cam, an aftermarket intake, and any tire that would fit in the stock fenderwell. I refer to these early SS cars as the small tire Super Stockers. The FX cars got so wild, they ended up becoming the Funny Car class.

By '67, guys began running the new '67 Firebirds. Found a couple of pics of some early ones. I even found a pic of an OHC powered '67 Bird. Don't know what kind of times they turned. In recent years Randi Lyn Shipp & Bryan Phillips have been running '67's which have run mid 10's & often more than a sec under their index.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Bird .jpg
Views:	154
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	530480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Myrtle Motors .jpg
Views:	161
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	530481   Click image for larger version

Name:	OHC '67 Bird  .jpg
Views:	139