View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure there were some other class & race winners in the early '60's that I don't know about. I can post pics of lots of the early '60's cars, and will probably do so, later in the thread. But, I wanna try to mention some that I know were winners.

Can't talk about the early Pontiacs without talkin about Arnie Beswick. He is sometimes remembered for his wild match race Pontiacs. But, he started off with Stockers. The story is told of the '61 season, when he won the race in Florida, which was put on jointly by NHRA & NASCAR. Yes, NASCAR was involved with drag racing, for a few years.

He actually drove the car to & from that race. That was the 1st year Pontiac put a 4-speed in a car. Before that, he was racing with 3-on-the-tree. Other racers though the car was not legal, because of the 4-speed. He had to get official word from Pontiac, in order to race the car.

Anyhow, Arnie won lots of races, in lots of different classes, before doing the wild match race thing.

https://www.arniebeswick.com/bio.htm

Lots of Pontiac dealers had race teams back in those early days. Royal Pontiac was one of the biggest. Gay Pontiac, in Houston, raced several Pontiacs. Don Gay won quite a bit in a 421 powered A/S Catalina. His most famous pic, I suppose, is with his class winners trophy, he won at the '64 Indy Nats.

Then he, like Arnie, switched to the wild match race cars.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2015/drag-...s-teen-terrors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arlen Vanke .jpg
Views:	141
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	530491   Click image for larger version

Name:	S-S Stick .jpg
Views:	131
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	530492   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-11 Cat .jpg