View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Guys. These discussions really help. I've taken a good look at the wiring, the connector, and the switch today and they don't appear damaged. The switch has a smell, though. Hopefully it's OK.
When I went to take the switch out, it was quite loose already. So maybe that was my problem all along? I didn't notice that when just turning the ignition on. But when I went to take it out, it was loose enough to sag and I could move it in all directions. The cylinder is well worn, too. Possibly contributing as mentioned, and certainly not helping the situation.
So I'm replacing both the switch and the cylinder with NOS. I'll have to suck it up and have a new proprietary key for the ignition, unless anyone knows someone that can code a NOS cylinder to the car.
Hopefully she'll be a reformed smoker after that. When I first saw the smoke, I was alarmed an bummed. When I was going to work a few weeks ago, I saw a guy on the side of the road with what was a really nice '69 Caprice and it was letting ALL the smoke out.