View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 07:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer
Default Jim Wangers' Red Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
Glad you are back on here Eric. My friend Kris, owned the Silver Bullet from the late 1970's until he traded it for a Petty Blue Superbird sometime around the early 1990's. We used to hang out at his house all through the late 70' and mid 80's. When he bought the car, it had been doing the Autorama show with the usual Autorama mods back then. It also had a broken block, if I remember. I remember helping him move it in and out of the garage because of the lightweight body parts. You had to be careful where you pushed it. This was in Sterling Hts., 16 and Dodge Park area. Kris is a big Mopar guy. I remember cruising Gratiot and seeing Wangers Monza and his Red Trans am. They were fast but you never knew how fast because they only beat someone by a fender or so. Good times.
Hi Jerry, One thing Jim always told his drivers, just beat them by enough. Don't show them everything the car has. You don't want to embarrass the other driver. Do you remember who was driving the red Monza or the red T/A? "Fast" Freddy Foreman, "Fat" Nick? There where the two white Monte Carlo's around too. One Chevy powered, Cowl induction hood, the other Pontiac powered "Pontee Carlo" with the Trans Am hood scoop. Not to mention a silver T/A and a couple of Turbo Buicks. Lots of cars in the Jim Wangers' back room of AMCI.
Oh, made it on page one of the Sunday Free Press, August 7, 2022 Freep.com.....Well actually they have Harold standing next to the GTX, with the hood off to display the hemi, talking to Steve Pasteiner Sr on the right. The dark shadow with the baseball hat is Steven Pasteiner Jr. further to the right. Just behind Steven you can barely see my grey hair, forehead and blue shirt at Steven neck. I had a hard time biting my tongue. The Pasteiners' were never around during the hay day. Sr asked Harold if this was the original engine to the car. Harold only said it wasn't but explained how it got the car by trading for it. That the car did not have a hood or trunk lid. Didn't mention that the car once had a tunnel ram. He makes everyone believe that it always was as you currently see it. I then piped in that the car was originally blue and when new it was used in a magazine test at Carlsbad, CA before Jimmy received it. I also mentioned Tom Hoover's green Hemi powered '66 Coronet. I just couldn't hold it in! LOL. Harold gave me a look. LOL After that I kept my mouth shut.

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 08-23-2022 at 08:17 PM.